Utilizing experiential, contemplative, and traditional approaches, the Professional School Counseling program at Appalachian State University prepares its graduates to be distinguished counseling professionals in their schools.
Appalachian State is located in the town of Boone, NC. Enjoy local art, food, and craft coffee or beer on King Street, take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, or hike on one of the many trails right off the road. There is something for everyone in Boone!
About Our Program
- 60 Credit Hours
- CACREP Accredited
- Graduate Assistantships
- Unique Course Offerings - 1 of 3 schools that offer Equine Assisted Therapy courses!
- Cohort Model
- LPC Preparation - our faculty members are dually licensed as school counselors and LPC's.
- Research Opportunities
- Scholarly Writing Options
- LPC Licensure opportunity upon graduation
- We are an APT approved provider!
We Also Offer...
- Advanced Graduate Certificates in:
- Expressive Arts
- Multicultural Therapy
You WILL Be Ready!
- 97% of graduates seeking employment in helping professions or doctoral programs were placed within 120 days of graduation
- Nearly 20% hired as PSCs before graduation
- 96% pass rate each semester on the NCE
- 95% pass rate each year on the CPCE (for the last 5 years)
- 100% pass rate each year on the Praxis. (for the last 5 years)
- 3% successfully pursued doctoral studies
"I felt that the faculty at App State truly cared about my well-being and success." - Swathi Prabhu, class of 2017
"I chose App for the focus on multicultural issues as well as the wide array of electives, I could make the program my own." - Emily Simpson, class of 2016
"Immediately I felt an atmosphere of progressive thinking and positive regard from the faculty and current students at Appalachian." - Campbell Dean, class of 2017
"Appalachian was my perfect fit!" - This Could Be You!
Come visit and see for yourself the incredible opportunities that App State has to offer!